Bring the best of the past into the present with a board- and-batten effect. We’ve enhanced the throwback feel with a tonal colour palette straight out of the 1970s.
In association with Resene.
THE STYLIST SAYS…
– To create these Mondrian-style painted wall mouldings, choose a swatch of harmonious hues from the Resene Multi-finish range. Pick a mid-tone plus colours that are lighter and darker, then step outside that to select an even deeper shade for your battens.
– Ensure the result is pleasing to the eye by painting side-by-side shapes different shades.
– Your horizontal battens can double as picture ledges. Consider the hues in your artworks when deciding which colour to paint the shapes behind them.
– Bring a shade off your wall into the room with a painted plinth that elevates homeware to sculpture status.
– To keep this look sophisticated, opt for flooring, furnishings and accessories that are a paler, more neutral expression of your wall’s colour palette.
PAINT SWATCHES, FROM LEFT Resene Calico; Resene Dark Buff; Resene Twine; Resene Rusty Nail; Resene Woodburn; resene.co.nz.
BACKDROP (throughout) Wall in Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen in Resene Calico, Resene Dark Buff, Resene Twine and Resene Rusty Nail; battens in Resene Woodburn; plinth in Resene Twine; floor in Resene Walk-on in Resene Parchment, resene.co.nz. WHOLE ROOM, FROM TOP LEFT Cream Tassel cushion, $25; Antique Kilim cushion, $95, babelogue.shop. Berber Knot Savannah rug by Armadillo & Co, from $1725, theivyhouse.co.nz. Head of David sculpture, $650, myexhibition.co.nz. Terracotta jug, $60, babelogue.shop. The Thinker vase, $60, myexhibition.co.nz. Alpine corner sofa, $5499 (with ottoman), freedomfurniture.co.nz. Cognac cushion, $168; Weave cushion, $51, partridgedesign.co.nz. Offset coffee table, $2670, simonjamesdesign.com. Studio Pottery dish, $60, babelogue.shop. Handprinted artwork by Chelsea Wrightson, $270; Misty Old Seascape with Mountains artwork, $65, myexhibition.co.nz. Sheepskin, $535, partridgedesign.co.nz. Toetoes stylist’s own. ABOVE Italian-ish torso, $110, myexhibition.co.nz.
Styling Juliette Wanty
Photography Wendy Fenwick