Creating a space for active play is easy. All you need is paint – of the magnetic, chalk and write-on varieties, that is.
You will need
Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen, assorted colours
Resene Blackboard Paint
Resene Write-On-Wall Paint
Resene Magnetic Magic
1. MAKE IT MAGNETIC Magnetic paint can be used as an undercoat – and this can be applied to the whole wall. Prepare and prime your surface, then apply Resene Magnetic Magic in smooth, full coats. A minimum of two coats is required as the smoother the finish and thicker the application, the stronger the magnetic effect will be.
2. MAKE SPACE Divide the wall into a grid where different activites can take place – a square for drawing with chalk, another for writing on with washable markers, and then the remaining spaces in colours of your children’s choice.
3. CHALK IT UP For the chalk square, apply two coats of Resene Blackboard Paint by brush, roller, or spray.
4. UPDATE FURNITURE You’re not restricted to the walls when adding colour. Here we’ve painted a stool in Resene Renew and Resene Glorious to match the space.
TOP IMAGE Geometric magnet set, $29, paperplanestore.com. Tatlin archetype buildings magnetic cardboard set $45, aucklandartgallery.com. Le Chat print, $69, se3.co.nz. Wall painted in Resene Glorious; Resene White Thunder; Resene Blackboard Paint; Resene Sakura, resene.co.nz. on the Desk String shelf desk, $985, bobandfriends.co.nz. Stack up dolls, $22, flatoutfrankie.com. Pink heart vase, $69, lovestar.com.au. Headphones, $19.95, warehousestationery.co.nz. Toadstool lamp, $179, perchhomewares.co.nz. Additional items listed opposite. on the FLOOR Striped storage bag, $29; Oyoy Mumi stripecushion, $99, perchhomewares.co.nz. Tassel garland, $180, spoonfuldesign.com. Crayola washable sidewalk chalk, $19.99, Warehouse Stationery. Canvas shoes, $49.90, countryroad.com.au. Floor painted in Resene Quarter Foundry. Stool painted in Resene Glorious and Resene Renew, resene.co.nz.
ABOVE String shelf desk, $985, bobandfriends.co.nz. Black spot bag, $16.90; House Doctor storage boxes, $49 (set of 3), perchhomewares.co.nz. Assorted notebooks, from $24.95, frankstationery.com. Black and white canister, $22, perchhomewares.co.nz. Crayola Washable markers, $10, warehousestationery.com. A for Awesome print by Papermint Studio, $39; Supergreeting card, $15 (set of 3), endemicworld.com. Little Heart postcard, $2.50, se3.co.nz. colouring book, $27, aucklandartgallery.com. Wall painted in Resene Blackboard Paint, Resene White Thunder and Resene Renew, resene.co.nz.
You will need
Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen in assorted colours
Resene Paint Effects Medium
Resene Blackboard Paint
Foam roller kit
1. BLACKBOARD TEEPEE Prepare and prime your wall
and paint the whole thing in the colour of your choice. Mask out the triangle shape and paint with Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen, which will serve the same purpose as Resene Blackboard Paint. We also painted the floor with Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen – but be prepared for some messy playtime if you go down this route!
2. Stencilled pinboard Hessian pinboard can be purchased from hardware stores. We used 1200mm x 1200mm for the project.
‘Grey’ the board with Resene Gunsmoke diluted with 30 percent Resene Paint Effects Medium mixed in as a colour wash and applied by brush. (Be careful not to lay the paint on too heavy, go lightly and add another coat if necessary).
Once dry, the board can be stencilled. We used a dart stencil purchased from cuttingedgestencils.com. Tape stencil to the board, and paint with Resene Alabaster Spacecote Low Sheen, applied with a foam roller.
ABOVE Hessian pinboard, $69, bunnings.co.nz. Bamboo flag, $48, spoonfuldesign.com. Assorted art printsand cards, from $15, endemicworld.com. Peg clip, $29.90, corso.co.nz. Cross wall hook, $36, mintsix.com. Headphones, $19.95, warehousestationery.com. Wall painted in Resene Half Kumutoto; teepee painted in Resene Coast, resene.co.nz. ON THE TABLE Trestle table andmetal legs,from $320, trestleunion.co.nz. Books, from $18, aucklandartgallery.com. Concrete Dala Horse, $64.90, indiehomecollective.com. Marco pencil case, $15, frankstationery.com. Cubebot, $34, aucklandartgallery.com. ON THE FLOOR Round rug, $220, letliv.co.nz. Maileg badger, $59, perchhomewares.co.nz. Slip cushion, $120, yourewelcome.co.nz. Floor painted in Resene Coast. Chair painted in Resene Spritzer, resene.co.nz. Dartboard, stylist’s own.
ANIMAL ANTICS Now here’s a fun idea: When you’re picking up your paint, get your kids to select a few Resene testpots to create their own colourful zoo at home. Paint the animals all over in one colour, leave to dry, then experiment with dipped feet, stripes or spots in contrasting colours.
For more information on the paint used see the Resene website
Styling & projects Alice Lines & Greer Clayton
Photography Melanie Jenkins