Soothing blues and browns make for a sleep space you’ll be happy to hide out in.
In association with Resene.
1. In a boxy bedroom with a high stud, visually dividing the walls with paint can create the illusion of architectural interest. Experimenting with Resene testpots on sheets of plain paper will help you decide which colours to use — we chose Resene Neutral Bay and Resene Soothe contrasted with a ribbon of Resene Redwood.
2. Paint roughly three-quarters of each wall in one soothing shade and the upper quarter in another — plus the ceiling to match. When continuing your colour from your walls onto the ceiling, use Resene SpaceCote Flat — it’ll give you a matte finish and save you having to change paints. Brush a 10cm-thick line of your darker shade over the join of your two main colours.
3. Choosing or painting a built-in bed, cabinetry, shelving or hooks in a similar shade to your key colour creates a tonal look we just love. We opted for Resene Dusted Blue for our bed base and peg rail.
4. Tie in the paint look with furniture in complementary hues. For summer, add bright accents in the form of moveable pieces like cushions and candles.
5. Cluster artworks and wall fixtures together to give the paint effect room to breathe.
BACKDROP Wall in (from top) Resene SpaceCote Flat in Resene Soothe, Resene Redwood and Resene Neutral Bay; bed base in Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen in Resene Dusted Blue; floor in Resene Walk-on in Resene Bronco, resene.co.nz. Wooden peg rack, $49, teapea.co.nz, painted in Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen in Resene Dusted Blue, resene.co.nz. MAIN IMAGE, FROM LEFT Candleholder, $30, babelogue.shop. Green Vintage vase, $145, and Brown Rusty mug by Kirsten Dryburgh, $36, widdess.co.nz. Sove linen pillowcase, $70/pair, and duvet cover, $229/king single, cittadesign.com. Fitted linen sheet by Cultiver, $219/queen, fatherrabbit.com. Round Velvet squab by Klay, $150, tessuti.co.nz. Original 1227 mini ceramic table lamp by Anglepoise, $390, cittadesign.com. Fruit Shop Trellis, $2500, and Hoi An Temple Tile 2 artworks by Erica van Zon, $2500, melanierogergallery.com. Nusa Lembongan scarf by Good & Co, $219, tessuti.co.nz. Tote, $59, widdess.co.nz. Arts & Crafts chair in the style of Pierre Chapo, $950, midcenturyswag.co.nz. Selvedge Edge Hand Loom rug, $129, cittadesign.com. Candle, books and flowers stylist’s own.
PAINT SWATCHES, FROM LEFT: Resene Neutral Bay, Resene Redwood, Resene Soothe, Resene Dusted Blue, Resene Bronco, resene.co.nz. Colours from the Resene Classics collection, coming to Resene ColorShops this summer.
Styling Juliette Wanty
Photography Wendy Fenwick