Okay, let’s talk about bold colours – how do you combine them in a sophisticated way? Here, we demonstrate with the aid of two white cabinets.
In association with Resene.
1. Use Resene testpots to devise a chic four-colour scheme for your cupboard doors. Find the combination that works best for your panels by painting vertical swatches on a piece of white paper.
2. Remove the door handles and plug the holes left behind with filler (available from Resene ColorShops).
3. Coat the doors and handles (we discarded the existing handles and used drawer pulls instead) with Resene Waterborne Smooth Surface Sealer and leave to dry.
4. Use a mini paint roller to apply a topcoat to each door. When dry, repeat with one or two more coats until the colour looks solid. Use a brush to paint your handles or drawer pulls to match. Once dry, attach them halfway up each door.
5. Complete the picture with design objects that match your paint. A less-is-more approach will keep the look contemporary.
Strike a balance
Guarantee success by keeping 80% of your room neutral – we painted our wall and floor with Resene Black White for maximum contrast – and making 20% bright.
BACKDROP Wall in Resene SpaceCote Flat in Resene Half Black White; floor in Resene Walk-on in Resene Half Black White, resene.co.nz. CABINETS Nouveau cupboards, $144 each; Sylvan drawer pulls, $5 each, mitre10.co.nz. Doors and pulls prepped with Resene Waterborne Smooth Surface Sealer, then painted with Resene SpaceCote Flat in Resene Just Dance, Resene Salsa, Resene Dapper and Resene Cleopatra, resene.co.nz. MAIN IMAGE, FROM LEFT Atollo lamp by Oluce, $2655, ecc.co.nz. Miro bud vase by Walk in the Park, $276, tessuti.co.nz. Scala bookend, $80/pair, until.co.nz. Ceramic vase by Milia Seyppel for Karakter, $365, cultdesign.co.nz. C603 chair by Yuzuru Yamakawa for Feelgood Designs, $575, backhousenz.com. Model S22 candleholders, from $85/set, and candles, $25/pack of 12, by Stoff Nagel, goodform.co.nz. Apricot vase by Monmouth Glass Studio, $389, tessuti.co.nz. New York table, $1559, boconcept.co.nz. Salon tray by Normann Copenhagen, $175, backhousenz.com. Amber glass by Monmouth Glass Studio, $68, tessuti.co.nz. Flowers and tablecloth stylist’s own. We used Resene paints from the new Resene The Range Fashion Colours 2020 fandeck.
PAINT SWATCHES, FROM LEFT: Resene Just Dance; Resene Salsa; Resene Dapper; Resene Cleopatra; Resene Half Black White, resene.co.nz.
Styling Juliette Wanty
Photography Wendy Fenwick