Recreate this dinner vibe at home with a DIY painted wall effect.
In association with Resene.
Get the look
– Stripes are a tried-and-tested pattern that never goes out of style — and talk about impactful. Keep the look chic, not dizzying, by confining them to a distinct area, pairing them with mainly monochrome furniture and homeware, and choosing classic diner-like shades such as green, red and yellow. We went for Resene Palm Green.
– These stripes are used to define a bench seat. If you don’t have built-in furniture, you could get a similar effect through creating an ornamental frieze by painting a band of stripes around your walls, near the ceiling.
– To reproduce this look at your place, paint your walls with two coats of a neutral base colour (we chose Resene Half Bison Hide) and allow to dry. Use a metre rule and pencil to measure 12cm vertical stripes, then mask them with painter’s tape to ensure clean lines. Ours start at the base of the bench seat, then travel across the seat and up the wall.
– Paint the stripes with two coats of your chosen Resene colour, allow to dry, then remove the tape.
– We finished our pattern by following the instructions above to add alternating 12cm x 12cm squares on the wall between the stripes.
Repeat the graphic motif around a floating shelf, as we have here, or your window frames.
OPPOSITE, BACKDROP Left and right walls in Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen in Resene Settlement; rear wall and bench seat in Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen in Resene Half Bison Hide and Resene SpaceCote Low Sheen in Resene Palm Green; floor in Resene Walk-on in Resene Triple Stonehenge, resene.co.nz. OPPOSITE, FROM LEFT Studio velvet fabric (covering squab), $110/m, marthas.co.nz. Tangerine chairs by Simon James for Resident, $615 each, simonjames.co.nz. Romana dining table by Ercol, from $4145, goodform.co.nz. Prices Altar candle, $24, tessuti.co.nz. Ildhane candle holder by Nedre Foss, $115, goodform.co.nz. Classic candle by Broste Copenhagen, $4; Orange Blossom bowl by Rachel Carley, $103, tessuti.co.nz. Vitro wine glass, $25, fatherrabbit.com. Nest pendant light, $850, vitrine.co.nz. Expose tray, $189, boconcept.co.nz. ADDITIONAL ITEMS ABOVE, FROM LEFT Como cushion, $155, fatherrabbit.com. Disc squab by Klay, $160, tessuti.co.nz.
PAINT SWATCHES, FROM LEFT: Resene Settlement; Resene Half Bison Hide; Resene Palm Green; Resene Triple Stonehenge, resene.co.nz.